Friday, November 26, 2010

Apple Pie Filling

Once you've got your pie crust prepared, you are ready to move on to the filling. Preheat the oven to 425* to start with.

For the filling you will want:

  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • a dash of salt
  • 5 cups thinly sliced pared tart apples (about 5 medium green apples will do)
  • a few dabs of butter or margarine
Mix the first five ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.

This was the first time I had used the apple peeler, slicer, corer. I was a bit intimidated, so I had my husband help. It turned out to be not only easy, but fun too! You put the apple on the prongs:

Then you turn the handle and it peels and slices the apple.

It goes very quickly and works great!

Now you can pull it off of the core.

And you have an apple spiral, like so:

If you cut the apple through from top to bottom, you end up with lovely thin apple slices. When you have five cups worth, stir them into the sugar and spice mix.

Pour them out of the bowl into the prepared crust:

Put a few dabs of butter, or dairy free margarine if you have a milk allergy. (I use Imperial, but if you are allergic to whey, you will have to use something else.)

Next, put the second pie crust on top and cut slits in it for the steam to escape during baking. Squeeze the edges together so the filling stays in. If you are feeling fancy, you can "flute" it.

Cover the edges of the pie with foil so that they don't burn.

Cook until golden brown, and juice begins to bubble through slits in the crust. For me this was about 35 minutes, I think. Take the foil off during the last 15 minutes of baking so the edges can brown up as well.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

CarJax said...

Yummy! Looks great. And I LOVE the apple peeler, corer, slicer! Isn't it wonderful?

alexandria said...

wow, that apple pie is making my mouth water! I've never tried an apple slicer/corer/peeler -- looks like fun tho!