Friday, February 15, 2008

Pineapple Pork Chops



One of the first dinner recipes I learned to cook was pineapple pork chops and rice. I found the original recipe at Cooks.com. If you'll excuse the florescent lighting in my kitchen, I will show you how easy these are to make.

The original recipe calls for butter, but at some point I substituted olive oil, and have been sticking with that ever since. I just pour a little bit in the bottom of the pan, like you would to saute up veggies or something.


Next, have your husband trim any excess fat from the pork chops. Put them in the skillet with the olive oil and season both sides with salt and pepper.


Brown them well on both sides.


The original recipe calls only for a 8 ounce can of crushed pineapple. But my husband decided he preferred chunks, and I like a lot of that sweet pineapple flavor - so I just dump the whole can in!

Reduce the heat at this point, and cover and simmer until the pork chops are tender. It will take about 20 minutes, and I usually flip them over about half-way through just to make sure they aren't getting to brown on the bottom.

You are supposed to add water at this point - but I had so much pineapple juice in there I didn't.


Bring the liquid to a boil and grab your box of Minute Rice. Pour it in until it looks like the rice will soak up all the liquid. (Originally it was 1 cup water, 1 1/2 cups Minute Rice and also 3/4 tsp salt, which I seem to have forgotten.)


Skootch it all around so the rice can touch the liquid, then cover it and remove it from the heat and let it stand for five minutes.




Dish it out for a tasty, hot, one-skillet meal.


Enjoy!

7 comments:

Maddy said...

Hmm maybe I could do that for tomorrow night [dinner guests at short notice! Eeek] I actually have some minute rice left over from when I was trying to get my son to eat rice.

Certainly looks very tasty!

Cheers

Bryan said...

Sounds delicious. Here's another recipe you might be interested in.

Boneless Pork Loin Roast with Apple Horseradish Sauce

To me, pork IS the 'other white meat.' Where would we be without ribs, chops, boneless loin, tenderloins, sausage? This is a delightful version of a boneless pork loin center cut roast.

Ingredients

1 boneless Pork Loin - Center Cut - about 3 pounds
1 cup chunky applesauce
1/2 cup red currant jelly or raspberry jelly
2 teaspoons horseradish

Preparation

Heat oven to 325°F. Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Do not cover. Roast to an internal temperature of 150°F.

Meanwhile, make sauce by heating applesauce, jelly and horseradish in small saucepan only until blended.

When roast reaches 150°F. spread about 1/4 cup of sauce over roast. Continue roasting about 15 minutes to glaze roast and until internal temperature reaches 160°F. for medium doneness. Serve remaining sauce with roast.

Serve with a twice baked potato, fresh-steamed green beans with Hollandaise Sauce or asparagus, baked sweet potato, cauliflower....actually, serve with whatever you like. :-)

Maddy said...

Nip on over and collect your award as at todays date.
Cheers

Unknown said...

But if I don't have a husband to trim the fat off... shoot! I can't make these! ;)

sher said...

Those pork chops are outrageous! So meaty. The whole dish looks wonderful--and I like the idea of the chunks too!

Mer said...

Andrea - Ok, you caught me. You can make this dish if you are single. It just means grabbing that cutting board and trimming the meat yourself. Which isn't hard, of course. I've done it before, but anytime I can get my husband's help in the kitchen... I'm all for it! :0)

Sher - Yeah, we are real meat lovers around here.

Kristin said...

Add red peppers for some veggies :)