Thursday, January 18, 2024

Breakfast Sandwich

For a while now I have been on the hunt for a protein filled breakfast that my son would enjoy. His current favorite breakfast is a single pancake. I felt that we could do better for this growing boy. So I was elated when he tried a breakfast sandwich made from my homemade sourdough english muffins and pronounced it a winner. 


Awhile back, I had purchased this little doohicky in the hopes that it would help me make breakfasts for my son that imitate the egg on the McGriddle sandwiches that he enjoys. So I dug that back out, and spritzed it with a little cooking spray.  (The picture below is when I was making a second sandwich, which is why the left side of the container has steam droplets on it. You needn't put water in there with your egg unless you want to.)


Put an egg in the bottom of the container, and pierce the yolk with a fork.


If you do not pierce the yolk, your egg (and microwave) will end up looking something like this.  This is how not to cook your egg in the microwave.  I provide this non-example as a warning.  What a mess!


Add a bit of salt and pepper, or some bacon bits, if you like


Close the lid and put it in the microwave.


Set the microwave for 37 seconds and start cooking the egg.


While the egg cooks, go ahead and pop your english muffin in the toaster, and spread it with butter.


This will take longer than 37 seconds.  This is good.  Leave the egg in the microwave, finishing off cooking in its own steam. Then remove the container from the microwave.


Now you have a tasty egg to go on your breakfast sandwich.


If you can have cheese, I strongly recommend you either add a slice now, or put some shreds in with the ingredients above.  Yum!

I'm curious, what are some good breakfast suggestions for growing kiddos?  If you have any recommendations, leave them in the comments below.


Happy cooking!




No comments: