Saturday, January 20, 2024

The Worst Chocolate Chip Cookies

Sometimes you just need a good cookie.  

Whether you go crazy over chocolate drop cookies

like my husband does, or are more of a chewy chocolate chip oatmeal cookie guy or gal 

(which my dad claims are clearly a breakfast food) there is just something about a cookie that hits the spot.  Nine times out of ten, I prefer a plain old chocolate chip cookie.

I have been making Nestle chocolate chip cookies out of a tub of dough for a while now, and it was time to get back to some homemade chocolate chip goodness.  Then while I was over at Sugar Spun Run oogling her cheesecake recipe, I stumbled upon The WORST Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe.  I had to try it.

I got my son to join me in the kitchen for this one, and we whipped up a batch of these.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup Imperial margarine melted and then cooled until no longer warm to the touch
  • 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar firmly packed
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs at room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 3 1/4 cups (415 grams) all purpose flour
  • 4 teaspoons additional flour (to sub in for the 2 teaspoons cornstarch, since we didn't have it)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder 
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (reduced from original recipe, which called for unsalted butter)
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (half regular sized, and half mini)
We started out by stirring together the melted margarine and sugars.  


My son kept stirring as I added the eggs, one at a time.  We stirred in the vanilla extract and the maple syrup.  Ours was a bit runny, and we were not sure if the cookies might end up flat because of it.  More on that, later. We mixed the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, and added them slowly into our wet ingredients to make the dough. Finally we stirred in our chocolate chips. We covered the bowl, put it in the fridge for at least half an hour, and then scooped the dough out to bake.  They went into the oven, at 350F for 13 minutes and were allowed to cool on the cookie sheet afterward.

The resulting cookies were a little flat.  I forgot to take a picture. They weren't very photogenic, to be honest. But my, were they tasty! Crispy on the edges, and with a lovely flavor.

The next day, I baked up some more of the dough, and tried putting the dough 


into muffin tins


like so


to prevent them from spreading too much.


The texture on the cookie-pucks that resulted was not amazing. The middles barely got cooked. And I like cookies a little dough-y, so from me, that's saying something.


The next day, I baked up yet another tray of them. And, oh my! They were perfect. Was it the extra time in the fridge that helped them set up better? I am not sure. More experimentation will definitely be in order. But this recipe is a keeper!

What are your favorite cookies?

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Yum! If I had a nickle fir every tray of chocolate chip cookies I have baked, I'd be a rich woman 🙂
I use the tried and true recipe that my mom used and it sound like a great day for some baking.