Monday, January 15, 2024

BBQ Pulled Pork

One of my favorite meals is BBQ pulled pork sandwiches. I used to get them all the time when we would go to a restaurant.  Then I learned to make them at home using a dead simple recipe I found on AllRecipes.com. In 2009 I served this for Christmas and my brother Tony raved about it and kept going back for extra helpings. We have enjoyed this meal time and again since then, and today I am going to walk you through how we make it, step by easy step.


First I gather up my ingredients.  You need:
  • pork
  • BBQ sauce
  • beef broth
The original recipe calls for boneless pork ribs.  I always just use a roast. Use a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce, and about 2 cups of beef broth.


Next, plug in your slow cooker.  You think I am joking. I can not tell you the number of times I have come back to the kitchen to find that the rice in the steamer or the food in the crockpot is not cooking because I forgot this step.


Put the pork in the slowcooker.


If you are mixing up beef broth from bullion or Better Than Bullion, do that now.  2 teaspoons of Better Than Bullion, whisked into boiling hot water.


Pour the beef broth into the slowcooker with the pork. If you are using beef broth in a can or carton, there is no need to mix it, and you would just pour it in.


Put on the lid and set the temp.  Either cook this on high for at least four hours, or on low for eight if you have time.  The slower and longer it cooks, the easier it will fall apart in the next step.  When it is done cooking, heat up your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.


Use two forks and pull the pork apart into chunks and shreds.


Keep doing this until the whole roast has been pulled apart.


Pour the BBQ sauce all over the meat. Don't skimp!  You are going to use the whole bottle.


Continue covering the meat with the sauce.


Stir all the pork around to cover it with the sauce somewhat evenly.  Then spread it back out on the baking tray, and top it with any remaining BBQ sauce in the bottle.


Place the sauced meat into the oven and cook it for about half an hour.


Remove from the oven and serve hot.


If you want to bake up homemade Hawaiian rolls to put the pork on, check out this recipe for that.


Enjoy!

No comments: