Sunday, October 18, 2009

How to Cook Rice in a Steamer

There are lots of ways to make rice. Here is a look at how I steam brown rice for use in bentos and dinners.

On the inside of the steamer, I pour in water until it is at the "HI" marker. This is very important. If I forget to refill the water high enough, by the end of the long cook time it will be depleted and the rice will be crunchy. Not pleasant.

Next, you put the top back on the steamer. For rice, you will be using the container that does not have any holes in it. Add a cup or two of your favorite rice.

Pour two cups of water in for every cup of rice.

Some sea salt goes in there too, to bring out the flavor.

This is what your rice will look like at this point. It will just be in a bunch of standing water. No worries, it will absorb.

Set the timer for 75 minutes.

Edited to add: For white rice, set the timer for 35 minutes.

Make sure it is plugged in and the light is on. You should start to see steam filling the inside.

Pretty simple, huh? I serve it right to the table in the container it steams in and people can dish out how much they want.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

StefRobrts said...

I have a steamer with a rice basket, but I've never tried it (didn't have the instructions anymore). I'll have to give it a try and see how it works.

Mer said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one without a gadget solely dedicated to rice cooking. But I guess I could be -- I rarely steam anything else! lol

Par said...

I once saw my boss cook rice in the microwave. I normally cook rice on a wok, steam it up.