Thursday, November 29, 2007

Hearty Spaghetti Sauce

You may have noticed from yesterday's bento that my spaghetti looked more like a Sloppy Joe on noodles. That is the way we like it around here, and in case you're a meat-lover too, I thought I would share how we make our sauce. There is nothing from scratch about it... but it sure is good!

  1. Brown 1 lb lean ground beef in a pot; drain off fat
  2. Add a 16 ounce can of tomato sauce & half a can of water
  3. Stir in a packet of Lawry's original style spaghetti sauce spices and seasonings
  4. Add sliced black olives, if desired, and heat it till it just starts bubbling
  5. Reduce heat to low and let it simmer for a bit
  6. Serve over pasta
Incidentally, these are the types of "recipes" I looked for most when I first started cooking. No one uses a recipe for spaghetti sauce, baked potatoes or boiled eggs. "But how hot is the oven?" or "How long do I boil them?" I wondered. Thank goodness for the internet.





4 comments:

Yvo Sin said...

Hahaha that makes sense though. A lot of recipe sites assume you know at least a thing or two (I know I assume that when I'm posting recipes!). Thanks for the recipe. I like a hearty thick sauce myself but approach it slightly differently- can of tomato sauce, no water, and a small palmful of Italian seasonings (it's probably similar to the Lawry's you're using? it's oregano, rosemary, thyme, maybe basil, I forget), smashed/chopped garlic, onion if I have some... same with the ground beef though... and a TON of grated parmesan cheese. I haven't made this sauce in a while, so the last time I did, I always had grated cheese on hand, but now I keep hunks of cheese on hand and grate it myself- not sure if that would take too long now, since I used to use a whole container of the grated cheese.... hahahaha. It was thick, delicious, and stick to your ribs yum for the cold weather =D

Mer said...

Thanks for leaving your variation, Yvo.

That is a great idea, by the way. I know everyone makes their sauce differently... so tell us how you like yours okay, everyone?

Unknown said...

I like mine with heaps of mushrooms. And if I'm just eating home alone I usually fill my bowl halfway with steamed broccoli, half with noodles, top with sauce, and then with parmesan. Very yummy, especially if served in a fun, funky bowl. :)

Mer said...

Oooh... steamed broccoli in your pasta, huh? That sounds colorful as well as tasty. I will have to try that in a bento soon. Thanks for the tip!

Anyone else have a favorite sauce for their spaghetti?