Thursday, September 20, 2007

Basic Hummus Recipe

My basic hummus recipe is so simple, it occupies a Post-it Note in my spice cupboard, rather than a page in my recipe book. I took some to work in my bentos, and my co-workers were so impressed, they wanted the recipe. So here it is:


  • 2 cloves garlic - roughly chopped
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 14 oz can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup of Tahini
  • 1 tsp sea salt (or table salt, if you've run out like I have)
Put it all in the food processor, and blend it until smooth.

Serve with home grown sprouts for a delicious, healthy snack! Pita pockets, carrot sticks and tortillas browned in a skillet are all great ways to get the hummus from the plate to your mouth.


Thanks to mediterrasian.com where I originally found this recipe.

8 comments:

Author said...

Perfect -- I need to start making my own hummus, as well as my own falafel. If you like falafel and have a good recipe please post it.

Thank you! M

Schatze said...

Great recipe! Now I have a massive hummus craving and *must* make some soon... :)

Christen said...

Mer, I just checked out your site and wow! Pretty cool, I was just wondering if you have the same 24 hours in a day that I do :) Love ya and I look forward to new recipies.

Alyssa said...

Thanks for posting on my blog. I love hummus and will have to try this out!

Anonymous said...

Hi Merilee, me again, just saw some more of you boxes and now I am wondering what is majadra and would you be willing to part with the recipe? Love, Gma

Yvo Sin said...

Yumm.... question, what can I use if I don't have a food processor (I know, I "should" get one but that's more cupboard space used...)? Also, where can I get tahini, I've browsed stores to look for it but never see it, saw it online for a LOT of money... thanks =)

Mer said...

Yvo, do you have a blender? Or - you might even be able to mash it up a bit with a fork (if the garlic was already minced) and finish it up with a hand mixer, but I don't know.

I bought tahini at Winco or Walmart or somewhere - but I can't remember the section it was in. It was kinda out of the way. I will try to remember to look next time I'm at the store and let you know.

By the way, the next recipe for hummus I am going to try is this one.

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed our hummus recipe Mer -- it is very simple isn't it :)

By the way, we just started a food blog last week called 'MediterrAsian Cooking.' Here's the address: http://www.mediterrasiancooking.com.

Hope you can drop by.

- Trudy