Saturday, September 22, 2007

Mujaddara Recipe

I have gotten a few requests for my Mujaddara recipe. So this goes out to Jen, Kate, Grandma, and anyone else who is curious.

Bulgur wheat and lentils are the basis of this simple recipe. I buy mine in the bulk food section at Winco.

Caramelize these in 1 Tablespoon olive oil:

  • 1 small onion
  • garlic to taste ( I use 3 big cloves - but I really like garlic)

Add:
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth if you'd rather, or water if you're out)
  • 1/2 cup bulgur wheat
  • 1/2 cup lentils

Bring it to a boil, then lower heat and cook for 30 minutes.

That's it! When you are done you will have a rice-like dish that can be eaten as a side, or the main course, if you like. Tastes good hot or cold. Makes an excellent substitute for rice in bento boxes.

Thanks to Sue for sharing this recipe with me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mer-thanks a bunch for posting this recipe--it looks & sounds really yummy and amazingly simple!

Mer said...

You're very welcome. I enjoy it a lot.

Unknown said...

Merilee, Nana is totally impressed by your growing of veggies, eating healthy, trying new recipes and love of entertaining. When I was young, my parents rented a one acre piece of land. It was the end of the depression and some people were going hungry. But our whole family worked in the garden, so we ate really well with tomatoes, beans, corn, onions, lettuce etc. It was my job to pick the berries, peas, beans etc. Then I had to shell the peas. That brings back a lot of good memories. Love Nana

Anonymous said...

Hi Merilee, I had not looked at your blog for a few days so was happy to see alot more of your creative talent in food. I especialy like the little chick. How cute and almost to cute to eat, unless you were very hungry.
Tell posting fun stuff for us to enjoy. Love, Gma